When you talk about REconstruction in the Netherlands, you think of Rotterdam. How can Rotterdam help Ukraine REconstruct its cities – given Rotterdam’s own postwar experience? But to answer this, first we should know what Ukraine needs and what its REconstruction potential is.
Meanwhile, the mayor of Rotterdam Aboutaleb reacted to Zelensky’s call by mentioning that Rotterdam as a maritime city could help Ukrainian port cities with the REbuilding. What could this practically mean?
This public event is part of the Opbouwdagen: between the 18th and 21st of May, Rotterdam celebrates its REconstruction. And whereas we are having an extra festive edition of Opbouwdag this year, since the first edition was organized 75 years ago, we are dealing with a war in Europe causing unforgettable loss and grief and a lot of Ukrainian cities will need to be REbuilt. When we talk about Opbouwen in these times, we are not only looking back in Rotterdam’s past, but also looking ahead to the future of Ukrainian cities.
In this event we open this discussion and dive into questions like what was already happening in the Rotterdam’ urban field before and during the Second World War that influenced its REconstruction. Who was involved, and what were their approaches? And now, more than 80 years later, we will look at Ukraine from this perspective as well.
Public event in short
- 15u45 Doors open
- 16u00 Welcome and introduction by Tim de Haan, member of the city council for D66
- 16u15 Videos by Ukrainian urban professionals
- 16u30 Panel 1: Urban development in Ukraine
- Moderated by Chris Luth
- With Nazar Dutko (landscape-urban designer UA/NL), Alexandra Nikitenko (architect, tutor UA), Oleksandra Tkachenko (urban planner, strategist, researcher UA/NL), Sergii Rodionov (brand designer, urban visionaire UA/US)
- 17u00 Panel 2: Rotterdam’s experience and its actualization for Ukraine
- With Wijnand Galema (architectural historian NL), Michelle Provoost (architectural historian NL), Fulco Treffers (urban planner, architect, project manager, tutor NL/UA), Bogdan Serediak (architect UA)
- 17u30 Discussion
- 18u00 Wrap up and drinks!
More info and the link to buy tickets can be found on Platform Wederopbouw Rotterdam's websitemore info & tickets